Senior Software Engineer
At Thorn, our cause is our code. We are a nonprofit whose mission of defending children from sexual exploitation and abuse is deeply embedded within our core—a shared code that drives us to do challenging work with resilience and determination.
Here, you’ll work and grow among the best hearts and the best minds in tech, data, and business alongside our network of independent partners, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. Together, we’re focused on building technology that protects children’s futures. We are looking for dynamic problem solvers with the desire to help address some of today’s toughest issues. You’ll collaborate with a diverse group of peers in a remote environment centered on wellness, care, and compassion.
In 2019, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet. Come join us to help make this goal a reality and build a world where every child can be safe, curious, and happy.
About the Role:
We could never do this work alone. We work on some of the darkest issues, with investigators who are the brightest lights. As a Sr. Software Engineer you are keen to solve complex problems in an ever changing environment. You will be directly working with the Australian Federal Police and investigators around the globe who identify some of the most vulnerable children in the hardest to find places. Our data collection infrastructure is central to this effort, and you will work on it from beginning to end.
What You’ll Do:
- Prototype, implement, test, deploy, and maintain stable engineering solutions
- Collaborate with other engineers on your team to enhance and maintain a data pipeline and backend systems
- Work closely with the law enforcement partners, engineering manager, engineers, and product manager to define product requirements
- Present possible technical solutions to various stakeholders, clearly explaining your decisions and how they address real user needs, incorporating feedback in subsequent iterations
- Play a critical role in day-to-day coding, code reviews, and troubleshooting production issues
- Drive technical innovation by researching and incorporating new technologies and tools into our core system
What We’re Looking For:
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- You have experience prototyping, implementing, testing, and deploying code to production
- You are adept at communicating directly with end users to understand the issues they are trying to solve
- You have experience building and maintaining infrastructure, ideally with one or more of: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform; and can launch, maintain, and scale new services
- Preferred: You are experienced with distributed data storage systems such as Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Redshift, etc
- Bonus: You have experience developing, deploying, and monitoring software and systems on infrastructure outside of your control
- You can work with shifting requirements in a fast-paced and fluid environment, and collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders
- You have a passion for innovation and an aptitude to work in a collaborative environment, can demonstrate empathy and strong advocacy for our users, while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews
- Preferred: Knowledge of the Government ICT Guidelines/Manuals/Principles https://www.cyber.gov.au/acsc/view-all-content/ism
- ISM info Security Manual
- Cyber Security Principles
- Cyber Security Guidelines
Technologies We Use:
- Object-oriented programming experience (we use Python)
- AWS / Terraform (3 + Years)
- Docker / Kubernetes (3+ Years)
- Remote Infrastructure
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.