Matthew Koertge, Managing Director of Telstra Ventures, is an unsung hero of the Venture Capital industry with a portfolio including 78 investments, 28 liquidity events, 12 unicorns, and a staff of 19 globally. He is a passionate and dynamic advocate for the startup industry, where he has been active since 1998. Prior to starting at Telstra Ventures in 2011, Matthew worked across a variety of industries including positions at Accede Capital Venture Partners, Deutsche Bank, Macquarie Group, and Fujitsu.
In his chat with Ian, Matthew discusses:
- The GP LP structure of Telstra Ventures and why it works
- Telstra Ventures operating as a thematic investor
- The Telstra customer network and why it is an asset for Telstra Ventures
- The growth of the Australian startup ecosystem over the past 10 years
- The existence and future of secondary markets
- Australia’s venture capital market in comparison to other countries globally
- Book: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari, The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz, & Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon by Bill Carr and Colin Bryar.
- Podcast: 20 Minute VC & Pivot
- News Source: TechCrunch, Business Insider, Wall Street Journey, & AFR
- Tech CEO: George Kurtz of CrowdStrike
- App: LinkedIn & Apple Music
- Productivity Tool: Telstra Ventures data science tools
- Favourite TV Show: Westworld
- Ted Talk topic: “Aligning incentives between management and investors”